First look inside the Comic-Con Museum, revealing exhibits during a smooth opening
So, in the pop culture galaxy, what does Balboa Park’s new Comic-Con museum offer in its “soft opening”? Try the Archie, Pac-Man, “Star Trek” comics among six “miscellaneous” exhibits.
Local dignitaries, Comic-Con officials and volunteers were the first to see the 250,000 square feet of exhibits as a ‘special edition’ of the San Diego Comic Book Convention open Friday in San Diego Convention Center.
The former San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum will be a destination for Comic-Con attendees, who can take a free shuttle between the venue. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes.
Tickets cost $ 19.95 and can be purchased onsite, at 2131 Pan American Plaza, or through its website. Reservations are encouraged.
During an early morning ribbon cutting, Mayor Todd Gloria hailed the venue as a big day for San Diego – “a fusion of two incredible icons: Balboa Park and Comic-Con” with the popular art venue taking its ” legitimate place “among other museums in the park.
He said this strengthens San Diego as a cultural tourist destination. And he unveiled a proclamation Friday making “Comic-Con Museum Day” in the city.
Assembly member Chris Ward, whose former city council district included Balba Park, called the museum a year-round “foundational institution” and “an economic force for all of California.”
Ward also bragged that it would be another reason to show off San Diego to his colleagues in Sacramento.
Memberships to the museum lineup, at various levels, up to $ 1,200. The highest tier offers t-shirts, lanyards and pins, as well as 10% discounts at museum stores and:
- Priority invites to exclusive social and educational events throughout the year.
- Permanent name recognition on the museum donor wall.
- Ten single-use guest passes for regular admission to the Museum.
- Invitations to exhibition openings, receptions, ribbon cutting and more.
- Priority reservations for events, programs and room rentals.
The other exhibitions on the opening day are:
- Gene Roddenberry: science fiction visionary as the creator of “Star Trek”.
- Chas Addams… Family and friends as a cartoonist of dark humor and macabre characters.
- Cardboard superheroes: The art of teenage brothers Connor (17) and Bauer (14) Lee, this exhibit features life-size cardboard models of superheroes such as the Hulkbuster, Groot C-3PO, and Baby Yoda.
- Out of the dark: Comics in times of COVID featuring artwork by young San Diego kids.
- The PAC-MAN arcade on the 2020 Museum Character Hall of Fame Induction.
Level 3-5 charter members were the first inside at 10:30 a.m.
The museum’s long-term plan called for 13,000 founding members, 135,000 annual visitors and an economic impact of $ 140 million, also through special events and camps.
Special thematic offers for family groups have been promised for:
- Earth day
- Free Comic Day
- 24 hour cartoon day
- December nights
- Forbidden Book Week
- Black history month
- And Women’s History Month
The Museum House is located in the 1935 Federal Building in the Palisade District, near the San Diego Air and Space Museum and the Municipal Gymnasium.
The universe of Archie Comics is almost as old as the building, which is why the museum has an exhibition dedicated to “Eight Decades of Archie”, the eternal star of Riverdale.
The official opening of the Comic-Con Museum is scheduled for summer 2022.