Rochester Council Heading To First 2022 Budget Vote
The proposed preliminary levy is due to be set by the end of the month, putting an expected decision on the board’s plaque at its Sept. 20 meeting.
A proposed 6.5% tax increase would generate $ 84.8 million for the city’s proposed budget of $ 494.4 million. This is $ 5.3 million more than what has been raised over the past two years.
Rochester City administrator Alison Zelms said the only way to provide a lump sum levy for another year would be to cut the proposed budget by $ 5.3 million. Instead, she suggests using federal COVID-19 relief funds to keep tax collection as low as possible while restoring services that were cut during the pandemic.
On Monday, the council will be asked a series of questions regarding city budgets and tax levies, which could help guide any cuts or potential increases before the council sets its levy cap.
Potential infrastructure improvements, park spending and the council contingency fund are among the issues that should be discussed.
The council will meet at 3:30 p.m. on Monday in the city-county government center council chamber at 151 Fourth St. SE. The meeting will have limited space for audience participation, but it will be webcast live at www.rochestermn.gov/agendas and available on cable channel Spectrum 180 or 188.
Meetings scheduled for the week of September 13 include:
• Study session of the City Council, 3:30 p.m. on Monday. The meeting will be webcast live at www.rochestermn.gov/agendas and will be available on cable channel Spectrum 180 or 188 and Metronet channel 80.
• Charter Commission, 4.30 p.m. Tuesday. Information to access the online meeting is available at www.rochetermn.gov/agendas
• Public Library Board, 4:30 pm Wednesday. Access information is available at www.rochestermn.gov/agendas
• Special meeting of the Heritage Preservation Commission, Wednesday at 6 pm. Information to access the online meeting is available at www.rochetermn.gov/agendas
• Olmsted County Justice Council, Tuesday at 6 pm. Access information is available on https://olmstedcounty.primegov.com/public/portal
• Environment Committee, 7:15 pm Wednesday in Conference Room A at 2122 Campus Drive SE.
• Planning Consultative Commission, Thursday at 7 pm in the council room of the government center.
Destination medical center
• DMC Annual Meeting, 5 pm along the Zumbro River at 50 Third St. SE. The program starts at 7 p.m.