The cheapest cities to visit in the United States (and what you can do there)
The United States is home to many popular cities that also come with a low price to visit, and here’s what travelers can expect in each one.
While small towns are revered for their quiet atmosphere, idyllic charm, and spaciousness, there is something about visiting a bustling metropolis that is truly striking. Cities are the most diverse hubs in the world, teeming with an endless variety of cultures, cuisines and activities. At every turn, visitors are blessed with a multitude of sensory delights, hopeful musicians scratching the streets with the scent of local cuisine permeating the air.
Hitting the avenues of a big city, however, can cost a pretty dime. The blow to the wallet makes it difficult to enjoy the trip as visitors wonder how their vacation will affect their daily lives once the fun is over. Fortunately, there are many cities in the United States that are as affordable as they are great. These city breaks promise to deliver incredible experiences without breaking the bank.
ten Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Hop in the saddle and settle into Oklahoma City, a place known for its cowboy culture, friendly locals and always hip atmosphere. People who travel to “The Big Friendly” should do these things for a full and cost-effective experience:
- Get a taste of Old West history at The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, with an extensive collection of Native American artifacts and rodeo memorabilia.
- Grab a bite at a local hotspot Cheever’s for a taste of contemporary comfort food in comfortable surroundings, or grab a basic Oklahoma fried onion burger at the Nic’s Grill.
- Stroll through the beautiful gardens of the A myriad of botanical gardens and go on a treasure hunt photo of OKC’s colorful permanent murals.
- Hit warehouse spaces reused in Bricktown for a night of entertainment featuring trendy craft breweries, shows and water taxi rides on the canal.
9 Tuscon, Arizona
Located in the Sonoran Desert, the beautiful natural scenery is reason enough to visit Tuscon. Fortunately, there is an array of affordable activities to enjoy in the desert oasis. Add them to the itinerary for an urban adventure full of nature:
- Explore the spectacular desert landscapes nearby Saguaro National Park or live an experience of urban nature at Sweetwater Wetland Park.
- Admire the centuries Mission San Xavier del Bac, an ornate Spanish colonial church on the Santa Cruz River.
- Analyze art at DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun and Tuscon Art Museum.
- Refresh yourself with a treat of Ice Cream, squeak on an experimental parabola at Parish, and taste the unique salsas at BOCA Tacos and Tequila.
8 New Orleans, Louisiana
The pulse of New Orleans is beating loudly. The streets of the historic French Quarter are constantly buzzing with live music and free entertainment guaranteed to get travelers tapping their feet. To get the most out of it at least, check out these quintessential NOLA attractions:
- Get the residents’ perspective at Living museum of the lower district of the 9th arrondissement, focusing on the history of the region spanning several generations.
- Read the fact-filled plaques highlighting notable buildings and art in the historic district French Quarter, Bourbon Street, and the Garden district.
- Browse the stalls of The French market, the various shops on rue de ChÃªne, and the culturally rich history of Marie Laveau House of Voodoo.
- Enjoy a classic New Orleans cocktail at The Sazerac Bar and a sticky sweet donut at iconic Coffee of the world.
7 Louisville, Kentucky
The state famous for its fried chicken should also be known for Louisville, a diverse metropolis full of affordable attractions and great vibes. Tourists to Louisville can take advantage of these activities for the ultimate budget getaway:
- Cross the Ohio River (and cross state borders) on the Big Four Bridge connecting Kentucky and Indiana.
- Hit the home run and discover Americans’ favorite pastime at Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory, or watch the horse races at the historic Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby.
- Visit the impressive architecture of Old Louisville and learn a thing or two about one of the city’s most famous residents at Mohammed Ali Center.
- Grab a bite, shop and dance the night away at 4th street live!, a huge entertainment complex in the heart of downtown Louisville.
6 Memphis, Tennessee
Music lovers will have no trouble keeping themselves busy in Memphis, a city saturated with a rich musical history spanning many genres. TripSavvy named the southern hotspot the best overall travel destination for 2019, and the pace continues with these entertaining attractions:
- Head to iconic Beale Street and choose from over 25 bars and clubs featuring live music, including legendary BB King’s Blues Club, The Absinthe Room, and offbeat gem Wet Willie’s.
- Satisfy your cravings with a finger-licking barbecue at Elwood’s cabin, Ballhoggerz, or the oldest restaurant in Memphis, by Coletta.
- Appreciate the epic frescoes and street art that breathe new life into the city’s buildings.
- Enjoy the life-changing history on display at Memphis Music Hall of Fame, and remember the past tense National Civil Rights Museum.
5 Albuquerque, New Mexico
Located in the high desert, Alburquerque is an ideal city break for those who enjoy sunny days, good food and rich culture. Enjoy the best of New Mexico’s urban scene with these attractions:
- Get a bird’s-eye view of the mountain scenery on the Sandia Peak Tram.
- Enjoy a culturally enriching experience at Maxwell Museum of Anthropology and the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center.
- Go back in time in nature at National Petroglyph Monument, with thousands of ancestral engravings of Pueblo and volcanic rock formations.
- Have a deliciously affordable enchilada at Pharmacy Centrale Duran and good old American cuisine at Dog House Drive In.
4 Indianapolis, Indiana
There is plenty to do in Indianapolis, with attractions to suit the tastes of every type of traveler. These essential Indy’s hotspots will leave tourists wishing they had more time in the underrated Midwestern treasure:
- Hit the sprawling New fields campus, seat of the prestigious Indianapolis Museum of Art, The Beer Garden, and the Fairbanks Nature and Arts Park.
- Explore the history of racing cars at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.
- Enjoy local cuisine at Blue Beard Instagrammable food pub and slice of cake Pastry shop.
3 San Antonio, Texas
Supercool Austin and Houston often eclipse San Antonio, a city in Texas known for its delicious barbecue grills and famous historic spots. Customers will not be disappointed upon discovering these notable San Antonio attractions:
- Learn the fascinating history of Alamo, former Catholic mission and fortress recognized for its battle of 1836 and transformed into a museum.
- Take a walk in the landscape Walk on the San Antonio River, and stop at the various shops and restaurants scattered along the waterway.
- Find serenity in the Japanese tea garden, a magnificent arboretum listed on the United States National Register of Historic Places.
- Enjoy outdoor art in Modern city of Essex, a large collection of colorful murals.
2 Washington DC
The capital of the United States does not disappoint when it comes to free attractions. It’s also an extremely navigable place with a guaranteed grid configuration to keep even the most difficult people heading on track. There is almost too much to enjoy in DC, but these activities are a great way to start:
- Explore the high end free museums on the National shopping center, including The National Museum of African Art, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and The National Art Gallery, Just to name a few.
- Visit the history Lincoln Memorial and imposing Washington national monument, the site of Martin Luther King Jr.’s iconic “I Have a Dream” speech.
- Enjoy the city’s culturally diverse cuisines, from Ethiopian cuisine to Beteseb Restaurant Taiwanese-Cambodian fusion in Maketto, And much more.
1 Raleigh, North Carolina
A city known for its college needs a variety of affordable attractions to keep students happy, and there is something fun to do around every corner in beautiful Raleigh, North Carolina. . Visitors should add these activities to their to-do lists to ensure an enjoyable stay:
- Explore the scenic trails at William B. Umstead State Park, part of the East Coast Greenway connecting Maine to Florida.
- Visit the futuristic James B. Hunt Library, an architectural masterpiece with fascinating interior design and cutting edge technology.
- Get a taste of Raleigh’s nightlife at The green light, hidden behind a secret library in The Architect’s Bar and Social House.
- Have a mouthwatering pastry at Layered croissant and a satisfying sandwich at Capital Club 16.
Next: These are the best islands in the Maldives for budget travelers
Here are some tips for staying safe while traveling (regardless of the type of trip)
About the Author